Friday, October 29, 2010

Musings on "Possibility" and Career vs. 'Calling'

So the past couple days have been very intriguing.  Yesterday as I was doing my daily "check the dozen and a half ministry job posting websites in hopes of something NOT in Cali, Texas or Florida", the very first new job posting (posted most likely just a few hours earlier) on the very first website I checked was for a Worship Leader for CHESTER, NJ. ...shock.
Chester?
Chester is an adorable little town about 20 min from my house.  Seriously?  Wow.  So of course, after browsing the description for a part time (15 hours a week max) worship leader in a mediumly small nondenom, evangelical church, I sent my standard coverletter/resume email off to the contact person.  Figuring *shrug*, we'll see.
Well, that same night, just a few hours later, I received an email AND a cell message (I was watching a show with mom...probably didn't hear it ring) from the church's head deacon.  Saying essentially that he thought my resume was "very impressive" and that he looked forward to hearing from me.  Wow, ok, this is fast.
So this afternoon I called this man's number and had a short "phone interview".  Well, more like brief conversation and preliminary contact.  Phone interviews can be kinda ackward though, as I'm learning.  Especially the whole asking questions and/or waiting for them to continue and/or ask you another question.  I'm big on face to face.  Reading body language and facial features to know where the conversation is going.
But that's besides the point......
Turns out they're having a Worship Comittee meeting tonight (seriously, was this planned earlier?), he'll submit my resume there and the next step would be hearing from the Pastor to set up an interview.  Interesting.
Now, if this pans out I'll have to find something else for daytime hours.  Practically speaking.  Since obviously this is part time, and while it would be good for "part time" hours, I'd have to find another job to "support myself".  And while it would be great to find my own apartment, again, "practically speaking" that's not really possible right now.  What would I do?  Substitute teach?  Try AGAIN to find a piano/vocal teaching position in a music studio.  Try to teach piano lessons privately?  We'll see.
Regardless, I'm ready to have things "flesh out" a bit more in my life.  I like the idea of 'possibility' maturing to become a solid 'possible position'.  Possibility is a great word.  It is like this fun loving second cousin to 'hope'.  And I love the word hope.
Now, while my mother chimes in with a disappointed "that's not a lot" as I'm describing this worship leading position financially speaking, I'm realizing all the more that ministry is a CALLING.  Not a career.
I never claimed to want a career.  Ever.  I think that solidified as soon as I realized (during the great Junior Year of Undergrad freak out of 2006) that I was feeling called to ministry and not to teaching in the public schools.  Financially speaking, maybe being a worship leader (and having that as my primary focus) is, to some laughable.  But to me, it's being obedient to a calling, a passion and a life purpose.  But again, I don't think "career" when I think ministry.
Now I haven't claimed to have figured this all out yet.  That should be obvious.  It's a step by step, journey, babe in ministry taking steps (albeit baby steps) towards a life of obedience and passion.  And while I continually struggle between wanting to be the "responsible daughter" in a family that focuses more on 401Ks and benefits, rather than ministerial life callings and passions, and straining to hear the Lord's voice for where to take the next step, I know this much to be true.  Ministry is NOT a career, at least not in the typical sense.  And because of this, I can't measure it to the same worldly standards of salary, benefits, and financial securities.  Haha.  Who EVER said a life of ministry would be 'financially secure'?!  Certainly not me.  And certainly not any person in ministry that I have looked up to and admired over the past few years.
We shall see how this pans out.
But for now, financial issues and hang-ups aside, I enjoy "possibility"
"Possibility" is a great word. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this because it reminds me of conversations I had with the Lord about being ok flipping burgers as long as I could be ministering to people. When I think of dreams, I think of that conversation. Not the high amounts of money I could attempt to rake in.

    ReplyDelete